Universidad Nacional Agraria de la Selva
Peru ( Americas )
UNAS researcher checking cacao plants. (Photo taken from http://fgonzalesh.blogspot.fr/)
- Year of founding: 1987
- Role of collection: National collection
- Main objectives of the collection:
1. Conservation of local, regional and international cacao germplasm for genetic diversity.
2. Use of genes sources for genetic improvement for productivity, diseases resistance, quality and climate change stress.
3. Data management in programs such as Excel and soon into a database.
4. Extension of the genetic base of Peruvian cacao by means of a local and regional germplasm collecting mission and the introduction of exotic germplasm.
5. Genetic Material trade with national or international institutions for investigation and conservation purposes.
Universidad Nacional Agraria de la Selva (UNAS)
Av. Universitaria s/n. Km 1.5 Carretera Tingo María a Huánuco
Luis Fernando García Carrión
|Total number of accessions:||- 422|
|Related Theobroma species||- 2|
|Wild relatives of other genera (e.g. Herrania)||- 0|
|Wild seedling accessions of T. cacao||- 0|
|Wild clonal accessions of T. cacao||- 0|
|Clonal accessions selected in farms||- 90|
|Seedling accessions collected from farms||- 0|
|Clonal accessions selected in breeding plots||- 45|
Additional notes about the collection
Important parts of this collection are the Ucayali (48 accessions) and the Huallaga (63 accessions).